We all know the saying “you are what you eat”, and what you eat can either be the most powerful form of medicine, or it can be the slowest form of poison. Make sure to stay nourished and hydrated during the summer months with our favorite Dukan-friendly vegetables. Not only are they low in fat and sugar, but they are high in antioxidants, which serve as nature’s anti-aging elixir.
Here are 8 tips to having glowing skin while accelerating your weight loss just by adding the following vegetables to your PV days:
1. Cucumbers (especially their skins) are rich in skin-beautifying silicon. Silicon helps reverse sun-induced skin damage and wrinkles while supporting stronger, smoother hair and nails—perfect to help counteract the hot summer months. Prepare a Dukan Top Model Juice by blending cucumber, celery, and carrots—drink it regularly on your PV days and watch your skin glow!
2. Celery will help you beat the August heat and humidity. Celery is great for flushing out excess water and helps reduce swelling as it contains balanced levels of sodium and potassium. Paring celery with our WHOOSH herbal diuretic will ensure no summer water bloat!
3. Tomatoes help reduce cholesterol. The lycopene in tomatoes reduces the LDL (“bad”) cholesterol and also helps to reduce blood pressure. Lycopene also acts as an internal sunscreen, which means it can help protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. Add some Dukan Diet Marinara Sauce to your meals for an antioxidant rich meal.
4. Artichokes contain a compound called cynarin that is thought to improve liver function and enhance weight loss. Artichokes are low in calories and loaded with fiber—one artichoke contains 10 grams! The high fiber content in artichokes not only helps relieve and protect against constipation but also aids the body in quickly removing toxins.
5. Watercress contains an array of minerals such as calcium and iodine that help re-mineralize your body and therefore make a great vegetable for vegans on the Dukan Diet who do not consume dairy. This vegetable is also high in vitamins A, C, and E and is useful in treating skin issues like acne and eczema.
6. Cabbage contains vitamins A, C and E. Vitamin C is essential to heal damaged tissues and minimize fine lines. Cabbage is also rich in sulfur, which is great for detoxing the body from stored toxins and higher than normal uric acid levels—add this vegetable once you have finished your Attack phase to help decrease detox symptoms.
7. Spinach is known to be a good source of iron—yet it is also rich in magnesium, a mineral that’s crucial for the synthesis of serotonin. Studies have also shown that adequate dietary magnesium helps relieve depression and related disorders such as anxiety and insomnia. For the perfect PV meal, steam spinach with a little-chopped garlic and serve with grilled chicken or fish.
8. To add flavor to your proteins use onions. Onions are a great source of flavonoids that stimulate the production of glutathione, a master antioxidant responsible for liver detoxification. Onions are a great blood cleanser which helps to create a Dukan glowing complexion!